Saturday 11 June 2011

Evening without the kids at Absinthe


Times pass so ever quickly. Every year around this time of the month of June, our childcare centre Del-Care would organise a pyjamas party for the kids. Parents can then spend an evening on their own without the kids and to eat a 'proper' dinner. Yes, dining at a place which will not fancy the presence of kids. Last year, we pampered ourselves with chilli crab at a restaurant located at the void deck of Ang Mo Kio flat. This year, we decide to try out the French restaurant -Absinthe, which Charles and Yvonne have been raving about, ever since they stepped in for the very first time.

It was quite a mad rush on Friday evening from work to the restaurant located at Chinatown, Bukit Pasoh. Absinthe was full house with reservation back to back. Our reservation was for 630 time slot and would have to complete our dinner by 820 pm.

We were greeted by friendly host when we reached the doorstep. As we stepped into the restaurant and showed to our table, I could not help but noticed the number of servers and hosts. I was quite surprised that more than one servers attended to our table, which I thought was not a very good arrangement, as I was expecting personalised services. Perhaps it was full house that night, the atmosphere was lively, wasn't too formal and fine dining, which I was totally comfortable with. Being a small eater, I decided to share a dinner set with Boon Heng, and I think this move was probably wrong. It was probably shock and disgust to the restaurant as another server returned to our table and advised me that the portions were really small. I was quite turned off by the tone which the server used, while embarrassed by it. The first taste of French's arrogance?

Our dinner set us aside by $98. Boon Heng likes the Foie Gras, and find the taste to be on par with Iggys. Our main course was lamb and it was perfectly done, very tender. The dessert -Blanc Mangé au Chocolat Manjari et Gingembre, Sablé Breton et Coulis Abricot was nice, although I was expecting more.

I will certainly return to the restaurant again, but not too soon. Need to get over the feeling of embarrassment.