Thursday 6 August 2009

Visit to Outram Polyclinic

A few more weeks to go before Heidi turns one. The time whizzes by unbelievably. Yesterday, we went for her second dose of Prevenar which was the jab to prevent pneumoccol. It was a scheduled appointment to the Polyclinic. We like the short wait and the friendly and professional nurse there.

However, we were concerned with the communal spread of H1N1, and wondered if we were taking a risk with Heidi. Children under 3 years old are considered as high-risk group. After some thinking, we decided to go ahead with the visit, but we took precautional measures. Instead of bringing Heidi straightaway, Boon Heng would stayed with Heidi at the outdoor area while I waited for our queue number to be called.

Our plan was nearly foiled. At the entrance of the clinic, there were temperature check, which was good. Then the staff who took my temperature asked me to go in only when Heidi arrived. I didn't what come over me. Maybe it is maternal instinct to protect my girl. I said a straight "No. She is waiting outside and will come when it is her turn". After scanning Heidi's health booklet, the young man (looked like a temp staff) again said,"The waiting will not be long. You can ask her to come to the clinic now." At that point, my common sense answered for me, "I have been to this polyclinic many times. And I know how long the wait is."

Until now, I could not understand why his persistence in getting Heidi who is considered a high risk group into the clinic. Perhap, the young man is too young to understand what a life means. Or perhap, I was being too caution. To think that my girl would to catch H1N1 is really unthinkable, especially our intention for the visit is to protect her from other forms of virus.

No comments: