Sunday 29 March 2009

Otitis Media (Part 2)


Heidi went for a second checkup at Outram Polyclinic last Friday and was seen by another doctor. Heidi's condition has improved, but not fully recovered. Her ear drum is still wet. Poor Heidi. Another round of antibiotic. This time round, it is a oral prescription and oddly, the antibiotic is Augmentin. Seem to me Augmentin is a all-cure medicine for virus. Oliver took it when he had urinary tract infection.

This set me thinking. This medicine must be so strong that it kills all virus strains in the body, be it good or bad ones. Unlike ear drops which tackle the ear inflection heads on, oral antibiotic is basically blind and go to all parts of the body. Today, Heidi has diarrhea. Initially, I think it is due to the sweet potato. But after reading up on the side effects of taking Augmentin, I realise the medicine is more likely to be the cause, since Heidi has not suffered from diarrhea since she starts taking solid.

Being a parent with limited knowledge in medicine, I can only place my trust in the doctors we visit and codes of ethics practiced by these medics. Many parents would share the same sentiment as me. It is perhaps time for me to read up more in this area.

No comments: